June 4 – June 11, 2017
The Snow Pond Composers Workshop at Snow Pond Music Festival is a week of intensive input and experiences for creative growth for composers at both the graduate and undergraduate level. In addition to private lessons and Master Class sessions with faculty composers, participants will explore new imaginative territories with immersion instructional and practicum sessions on improvisation, and an array of techniques for integrating improvisation into one’s compositions. Time will be provided for on-site composing, and participants will have a short piece for violin, viola, and/or flute performed, critiqued, and recorded by Visiting Performing Artists Maya Bennardo, Hannah Levinson, and Peter H. Bloom. In addition to welcoming traditional approaches to composition, we are also receptive to composers whose work incorporates electronics, improvisation, jazz, rock, and other diverse elements into the compositional mix.
- Master Class sessions and private lessons with faculty composers.
- Instructional sessions dedicated both to honing traditional compositional skills and to intensively exploring a wide range of approaches to improvisation. These include both techniques for integrating improvisation into one’s compositions and presentations on interactive computer systems for use by improvising musicians.
- Exploration of the violin, viola, and flutes (bass, alto, concert, and piccolo) through presentations, readings, and performances of short pieces by Visiting Performing Artists Maya Bennardo, Hannah Levinson, and Peter H. Bloom.
- Receptive to both traditional composition and to composers whose work incorporates electronics, improvisation, jazz, rock, and other diverse elements into the compositional mix.
- Time for composing and processing new materials and ideas.
- Intimate and supportive environment for networking with peers and professional staff.
- Affordable tuition includes lodging, meals and use of New England Music Camp’s waterfront, recreational equipment and facilities.
Snow Pond Composers Workshop Faculty:
Dr. Richard Nelson, Composer, Professor of Music, University of Maine at Augusta. Program Co-Director.
Dr Edward Jacobs, Composer, Professor of Music, East Carolina University. Program Co-Director.
Dr. Frank Mauceri, Guest Composer, Bowdoin College
Peter H. Bloom, Visiting Performing Artist (Flute)
Maya Bennardo, Visiting Performing Artist (Violin)
Hannah Levinson, Visiting Performing Artist (Viola)
Participants must be over the age of 18 and are selected on the basis of ability and supporting materials. As the application process is on a rolling basis with a maximum of 15 students, we encourage you to apply early.
- Applicants should provide two scores and two recordings to be sent via the Applicant Materials Submission form. (See requirements below)
- $75 application fee*
For additional assistance contact the Programs Coordinator, Gail Levinsky
Electronic submission of two representative compositions: pdf of score and mp3 recording. If your work exists purely in the audio domain (no score), please include a written explanation of the process for creating the recording. PLEASE NOTE: The scores, recordings, and letter of recommendation is needed but not required for completing the initial application. However, all scores, links and letter of recommendation submitted thereafter must be sent using the Applicant Materials Submission Form on the website.
- 7 days – all inclusive (instruction, meals, housing, and on-campus activities) $1345
*PLEASE NOTE: The application fee will be refunded if applicant is NOT accepted into the program.
|3:00 – 5:00 pm||Registration|
|Evening||Orientation and Evening Gathering|
|9:30 am – 12:00 pm||Master Classes, Instructional Sessions, Lessons|
|12:30 – 1:30 pm||Lunch|
|1:30 – 3:30 pm||Flexible Time, Individual Composition Time, Lessons, Recreation|
|3:30 – 5:30 pm||Master Classes, Instructional Sessions, Lessons|
|Evening||Listening and Discussion Sessions, Attending Recitals, Individual Work Time,
Other Group-initiated Activities, Social Activities
|8:00 – 10:00 am||Breakfast and Departure|